Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I Love Homemade!!

So I have been really getting in to making more things homemade.  I still have a long ways to go, but I find great joy out of making something from scratch, especially when it makes it more healthy, and cheaper!!  I love replacing something that typically comes from a can, with something fresh and delicious and homemade! 

I stumbled across a friend's recipe for homemade refried beans and cooked them up today.  They were soooo good!!  I had made refried beans before, because I've become a HUGE fan of beans (so, so cheap!! and healthy!!).  But this recipe was for enough to put in the freezer so I can have them on hand.  I haven't eaten any that have been frozen yet, but the fresh ones are AMAZING!!  So flavorful, so fresh, so wonderful!!  But the GREATEST thing about this recipe was that the beans are cooked in the crockpot!!  If you are friends with me on facebook, you have seen my many, many comments referencing my love for all things crockpot.  If you don't own one, get one...go, get one now!!  Throwing ingredients together in the morning and having a fresh cooked, delicious meal that evening without even having to think about it is nothing short of a miracle :) 

I hope my friend doesn't mind, but I thought I'd share the recipe so you all could enjoy the goodness!!

Homemade Refried Beans

6 cups dry pinto beans
9 cups water (may need more during cooking process)
1 diced onion
1 jalapeno, diced (I actually didn't have one on hand, so I didn't add)
4 T. garlic, minced
8 t. salt
1 T. pepper
1/4 t. cumin

Put all ingredients together in your crockpot.  Cook on low for 8-9 hours, or on high for 4 hours.  Once beans are softened, mash to desired consistency.  I actually used the food processor and it was WAY easier than mashing :)  I added some shredded cheddar cheese.  I'm told the beans can be bagged and put in the freezer, which I will be experimenting tonight. 

Enjoy!!  Oh, and if any of you have any delicious homemade, low budget recipes, please share them!!  Help me keep my family healthy, and save some money!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe!! I am so going to try this!
    <3 Kevi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Sarah! Oh my goodness you are totally inspiring me to crock something I've never crocked before. :) Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to be trying that recipe! I love doing away with canned things too...thanks for the great tip! :)

    ReplyDelete