Monday, June 27, 2011

Oh, Lummi...

I LOVE Lummi Island!  Jake loves Lummi because it holds his boyhood memories of running through the woods, and spending the majority of daylight hours turning over rocks looking for crabs on the beach.  For me, Lummi is only a part of my recent past, but it still holds a special place in my heart.  It is like a magical retreat.  It feels like you're on vacation, even though you are only minutes from town.  I love hunting for sea glass...I could spend all day beach combing.  It is where Jake and I got engaged, so it will always remain the most romantic place in the world!  :) 

If it didn't cost an arm and a leg to get over (seriously, $21 for us to drive over on the tiny ferry...sheesh!) I would spend most sunny afternoons over there.  Fortunately, Jake's grandparents own a home right on the beach, and a few times each summer, Jake's dad pulls out the boat and ferry's us across to the magical land.  Yesterday, we went out to celebrate grandma and grandpa's 60th wedding anniversary!  It as Calvin's first boat trip and first time on the island, and he really enjoyed it...I think he thinks it's as magical as I do :)  It was such a fabulous summer day!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you love Lummi. But really, it feels like more than just a few minutes from town when you live there and are trying to get to an appointment and there's a long line, at least two ferry loads, or when you've had a long day and just want to get home. I think I love Lummi more now that we moved to the mainland. I can enjoy it from a tourist's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, Karen. I just told Jake yesterday that if it wasn't a ferry ride to get there, I would want to live there. But that keeps it more of "destination" and much more special when we actually make it out there :) I can't imagine having young kids and having to trek all the way in to town for appointments and grocery shopping!

    ReplyDelete